Measure your wind energy potential
If you're thinking of installing a wind turbine at your home, school, business or farm, we believe there's no substitute for measuring your wind speed first, to work out how much energy you could generate before you make the investment. Measure your wind speed with an anemometer

We're here for friendly advice on 020 7738 5800 or drop us an email with your question. If you're wondering how independent we are, or whether we'll just flog you anything, you can read more here.

Selling your electricity to the grid
To get paid for renewable energy
  • When you wind turbine or solar pv is fitted, it should have an Ofgem accredited Generation Meter.  This will tell you how much electricity your device has produced.
  • To put energy onto the grid, you will need to have the appropriate agreement with your Distributed Network Operator.
  • To obtain ROCs, you will need a schematic diagram of the electrics of your renewable generator.
  • Usually, you will need to be a customer of the energy company that you are going to supply.
The options
  • You receive payment for every unit that your generation meter says you generate.  This is regardless of how much of it you use. No Export Meter required.
  • You have an export meter fitted and you are paid only for the amount of electricity that goes to the grid.  More on export meters here.
  • You supply the energy company with you total generation reading. They assume that you will use a percentage of this and pay you for the rest.  No need for an additional export meter.
  • Your generated energy earns you ROCs.  You appoint the energy company as your Agent; they obtain the ROCs for you then buy them from you.  This might be included in the rate they pay for the units of electricity you generate [more on claiming ROCs here].
If you want to sell your ROCs separately, you will want to consider whether the price you get in worth the installation of the export meter and the hassle that this seems to involve.  The value of ROCs is based on the Buy-out price set by Ofgem.  For 1st April 2008 – 31st March 2009, it is £35.76.  One ROC is currently awarded for each 1MWh generated in an obligations period (one year).  It looks as though this will change to two ROCs per MWh in April 2009.


Potential buyers of your energy

There are a couple of big energy companies and a few green energy specialists who will be interested in buying your electricity.  Either, it fits with their eco-credentials, their marketing stance or helps with their Renewables Obligations.  Here are those that we can find, their contact details and what they are currently offering.  All this seems to be very open to change so it is worth checking their websites.


npower juice

 01905 340 646

npower will assume that you will export 60% of your energy if it was generated by wind turbine and 50% if it was generated by pv.  You provide them with the total you generated.  They will pay you for the amount they assume exported at a rate of 12p unit of PV and 10p per unit of wind energy.  They will not require you to relinquish your ROCs.  You can appoint them as your agent, supply them will the relevant information and they will pay for them at the buy-out price.


EDF logo

EDF Energy Green Team
0800 051 1905
Edf do not have many details on their website of the prices they will pay you and suggest it is best to call them for the current options.  We found them to be buying your total generated electricity + the ROCs at 5p/kWh if your generator is rated as 5kWp, 4.5p/kWh for larger installations.  Alternatively, for generators upto 10kWp, they will buy just the electricity you export at 7.6p/kWh.  This will require you to have an export meter but you will not have to relinquish your ROCs. 

ecotricity logo

Ecotricity Renewable Rewards
0845 555 7100

Electricity generated by wind turbine, pv or small hydro, by systems rated upto10kW can be sold to ecotricity.  Starting from the beginning of February 2009, they will pay 12p/kWh for the total generated electricity and the ROCs. 


Good Energy Logo
0845 456 1640
Using the reading from a total generation meter, Good Energy will 10p per unit for everything that you produce + the ROCs.

Quite excitingly for those with or considering thermal solar, Good Energy are trying to find a way to reward you for your eco-efforts and, at the same time, off-set their new gas offering.  This is currently a test scheme.  Using the size of your panels, orientation, angle and position, they will estimate how much heat you should be generating and work out how much to pay you.  For more information, please see here or e-mail
Green Energy logo


Green Energy UK

0845 456 9550

or speak to Sharon on 01920 483046 

Green Energy is an unusual energy company in that their customers become their shareholders.

They pay at two rates depending on the size of your generator:

small scale (under 6kW)  -  a flat rate of 10p for every unit generated + ROCs, including the units used on site. Only generation meter required.

larger scale (6-30kW)  - 8.5p for the units exported through an export meter and 4.5p per unit generated for the ROCs minus a daily standing charge of 15p for export to the grid.  You could opt to obtain your ROCs and sell them to someone else.


Getting an OFGEM accredited export meter

Electricity meterThe list of OFGEM accredited Generation meters can be found here (PDF). Second hand OFGEM accredited single phase meters can be found on Universal Meter Services for as little as £5 and new ones for £25.




More info
There's a good list of the grid-exporting offers available over at Paul's Alternative Energy website and West Wales Eco Centre, which we drew on in our research. The Times also recently published a useful article, "Get paid for making your own electricity". 

 Distribution network operators

In order to be connected to the grid, you will need to have agreement with the people who run the National Grid in your area.  These are the distribution (or distributed) network operators.  There is a list of them here .

comments (15)add comment

Amanda said:

A quick update on the EDF Energy deals. Please contact the Green Energy Team on 0800 051 1905 for different schemes available, or visit this website: EDF Energy also has schemes for large business customers.
July 25, 2008

Toby Fearne said:

I don't understand why generating a small amount of electrcity using PV and selling it back to the grid is any use in reducing the countries carbon footprint. Surely the National Grid is so inefficient the majority of electricty produced is lost?

Are there any figures showing grid efficiencies anywhere?
July 22, 2008

ibby said:

hello all
i am thinking of fitting pv solar panels to my property but dont know how many i will need,i have asked for quotes to see how much it would cost me to have it fiited by installers but they are all coming in very costly so i have decidied to do it my self. can any body tell me how to calculate the amount of khw i will need to power my house or how many pv panels i will need?
July 19, 2008

clare goodwin said:

we have just installed a hydro electric plant which has an 11kw generator.. we intend to power both our own house and the adjoining house from this but the surveys indicate that we will have surplus energy to return to the grid... i need to get an export meter sorted out asap so that we can use the system so can anyone tell me in simple english which supplier will be the quickest and/or who gives best price for the energy.. i'm a bit rubbish on internet so don't want to spend weeks trying to find out... help please.....
July 18, 2008

mitch said:

I am looking at installing a wind turbine with the main effort being to run central heating. I have space and appropriate elevation and wind speed. I am not sure if it is practical though - I currently have oil fired central heating and I think my system may not adapt. Any thoughts please.
July 03, 2008

ian said:

hi, i am interested in generating electricity using wvo from local supplies, this will power a engine that will turn a motor that will in turn generate electricity!

i can not find anywhere any info on what i need to do to make this all complient to g83 specs, could you please point me in the right direction!

ok i will need the meters and isolation etc, but will i need to go through a process of getting my generator approved (even tho it is a normal mains motor that can be plugged into any uk socket!!!)

many thanks in advance

July 02, 2008

Toby @ better generation said:

Gita - it would be pence per kWh (i.e. per*unit). To be g83 compliant, you need a lockable dual pole isolator switch. These are widely available from electrical wholesalers.

April 01, 2008

Gita said:

I have a query, these companies that buy back generated electricity, are they buying them back at a p/kW or p/kWh? The latter would make more sense to me, but just want to clarify.
Also, could anyone here recommend a good circuit breaker that is G83/1 compliant that I can use for my 5kW micro-hydro scheme?
March 19, 2008

Toby @ better generation said:

Owain, this page contains no adverts, nor are we in the business of lying. This page is merely an attempt to collate useful information, free of charge, for the benefit of our website visitors. Its difficult to keep this info up to date, so first-hand feedback such as yours is useful, as the power companies do not always do what they claim to.
March 18, 2008

Owain said:

"npower juice currently offer export meters for 60" (see their advert above). This is a lie. They have not been able to install an export meter for me in 20 months of being on their microgeneration scheme. On top of that their levels of customer service are diabolical. Avoid npower.
March 18, 2008

William Weston said:

npower say they are not accepting micro hydro on their scheme!!
On what basis I ask mysefl?
May 15, 2007

Owain said:

I signed up to npower's microgeneration scheme last july and am still waiting for an export meter, 8 months later, with no promise of it being installed in the immediate future. I think npower have handled it very badly. Having said that I still think they have the best deal around at the moment.
March 30, 2007

toby @ better generation said:

a quick update to the npower deal - website visitor Dave says that npower have recently told him they will pay him 11.14 pence per KWh exported, and that you can still claim the ROCs on top of that. This seems to be the best deal around at the moment, but there is a limit of 6 kW generation capacity that you can connect
February 22, 2007

Brian Moyler said:

Hi, a very interesting site,and I would like to do somthing to help,and I wish you well.
I own a building on a very windy site near selsey. I have applied to erect a turbine on a building there. We do not use much elec ricity there, so I want to export all the surplus to the grid. The wind blows most of the time because it is on the beach. I have an RSPB meter from Southern Electricity suppling this small building,

Can you offer any advice how I can export economically. thanks and I look forward to hearing from you, Brian M
January 10, 2007

suz dobson said:

Also they tell me their export metre is 60 - not bad - once you've got it , you've got it.
December 21, 2006

write comment
smaller | bigger



Get the latest insider developments on saving energy and generating energy at home. You'll also be the first to hear about freebies and special discounts. Emails are only occasional, absolutely no spam.

Log in or register here to access special parts of the site:

lost your password?
No account yet? Register